Roadworthy Tests Unpacked And Explained

If you want to sell your vehicle, want to clear a vehicle defect, or want to re-register a used vehicle, you will have to get a certificate of roadworthiness. If you are unsure exactly what the process is for obtaining a roadworthy certificate, here is a brief explanation of what to expect:

Getting the certificate

To get a certificate of roadworthiness, you will have to get the vehicle inspected by a licensed vehicle tester that operates from an approved service station or garage. It is important to know that the certificate is only valid for 30 days from the date of issue, and that the certificate is not a guarantee that the vehicle will remain roadworthy during this time.

If your vehicle fails the test, you will receive a rejection report, which will identify the part/s that caused the vehicle to fail. You will have seven days to replace the part/s, or you will have to go for a full inspection again.

What does the inspection entail?

The inspection is used to make sure that the key components of the car are in working order, and will be safe when used on the road. The components that are checked are the following:

  • Windscreen and other windows
  • Suspension, braking and steering
  • Seats and seatbelts
  • Front wipers and washers
  • The overall structural integrity of the car
  • Items related to the overall safety of the chassis, engine or body
  • Wheels and tyres

Keep in mind that the inspection does not cover the parts that aren’t tested, and is not in any way a thorough inspection of the vehicle and its overall health. If you want to perform a comprehensive inspection, you will have to request a separate inspection report from an independent garage or testing station.

If you’re not happy with the outcome

If the outcome of your vehicle inspection test does not seem correct to you, or if you have any serious queries, you can check whether the component that failed is, in fact, part of the required components of a roadworthiness test, or go to an independent testing facility to get a second opinion.

If the original tester is found to be incorrect, and unwilling to change their verdict, you can notify your state’s road agency.

If you need to get a roadworthy certificate for your vehicle, feel free to contact your nearest ABS Auto Service Centre to organise an inspection.


Related Tag: Mechanics Melbourne